|FPSE Faculty Welcome 2013/Tim O'Riordan ©2013/CC BY 2.0 UK|
Monday, 23 SeptemberFaculty Welcome
- Electronics and Computer Science (Prof Neil White - Head of ECS) - "we're research-focused"
- The Optical Research Centre (Prof Rob Eason - Deputy Head of ORC) - "we're dedicated to Photonics", "there's going to be an Internet 'capacity crunch' in 2020"
- Jumpstart 2013 (Joyce Lewis) - "I will contact you by email"
- Health and Safety (Mike Bartlett) - "the Mountbatten Building burned down in 2005 - and they're still talking about it"
- Jumpstart Challenge (Trishia Poplawska) - "an opportunity to get to know each other"
Tuesday, 24 SeptemberMSc Welcome
- Prof Kees De Groot, Prog Director
- Practice past exams (available on sussed)
- Use mentors.
- Andy 'Biscuits' Newton
- STACS (Student Teaching & Computing Support)
- x24494 59/3207
- Free software/hardware loans
- Help with coursework, programming help, coding support, projects
- They want to be given complicated programming questions
- Free virtual machines for projects
- "Learn Linux"
- See: https://secure.ecs.soton.ac.uk
- Academic Integrity
- Mark Zwolinski, Deputy Head ECS Education
- 2 students were ejected for plagiarism in 2012/13
- See: www.academicintegrity.soton.ac.uk
- Faculty student office team
- B59 reception.
- email@example.com, X22909
- Eric Cooke, ECS Senior Tutors
- email stutor (ask at zepler reception)
- 12 modules, 6 per semester = 120 credits
- pass mark 40%, must average 50% to progress to dissertation
- Fiona Nichols, Library
- see: library.soton.ac.uk
- subject guide>ecs>info skills>taught msc>
- 10 October - searching for pg’s
- ECS books are on level 3 Hartley
- Delphis - single search incls. journal articles
MSc Web Science Welcome
- Met: Dr Sepi Chakaveh (ex Fraunhofer Society - "reading data files changes the arrangement of bits in the file") and Manuel León, a researcher who is starting first year of PhD exploring the use and reception of MOOCs by academics.
- Ice breaker:
Circle - toss ball of string around and give name, subject and 'fun fact' about yourself (my fun fact: I have no 'fun facts' - then immediately thought of several).
- Team building:
- Support a tennis ball as close to the ceiling as possible using items measuring no more than 30cms.
- What extra curricula activities can WS do?
Team 4 ideas
- Les Carr: Don't have to attend all lectures (these will be pointed out); Claire Wyatt is the fount of all knowledge; "Conferences are work - not 'holidays'"
- Not all WS MSc's are on Facebook
Thursday, 26 SeptemberRegistration
Introduction to Digital Literacies Champions
- Lisa Harris
- Voluntary but some paid project work
- Curation of archive for uni events
- Media creation competition - winner goes to Digital Media Europe 2014
- 'Literacies’ viewed from marketing/business perspective. Reputation?
- It should be more about reputation building - so use rss feeds, google scholar updates, scoop.it, twitter, facebook, linkedin, wordpress blog (week notes), google apps (video not.es, rss, screen capture). Think of it as building a portfolio...
- Mozilla is collaborating with the world to develop an open badge ecosystem that makes it possible to recognize skills, literacies, and interests across the web.
- Looking for project ideas that DCs can help with.
- Volunteers to revamp website.
- Meeting: 30 September. Practicalities of being a DC - with Fiona Harvey.
- Workshop: 2 October. Use phones to create video - with Simon Morice.
- Creative Digifest: 19 November at Grand Harbour Hotel